A COMPLETE APPROACH TO WELLNESS
Wellness is so much more than the physical activity, healthy eating, self-care and others that we strive for to be healthy and stay free from illness. It is a holistic integration of physical, mental, and spiritual well-being, fueling the body, engaging the mind, and nurturing the spirit. A lifestyle and a personalized approach to living life in a way that allows us to become the best kind of persons that our potentials, circumstances, and fate will allow”.
Wellness necessitates good self-stewardship for ourselves and for those around us.
Wellness encompasses 8 mutually interdependent dimensions: physical, intellectual, emotional, social, spiritual, vocational, financial, and environmental. Attention must be given to all the dimensions, as neglect of any one over time will adversely affect the others, and ultimately one’s health, well-being, and quality of life. They do not, however, have to be equally balanced. We should aim, instead, to strive for “personal harmony” that feels most authentic to us. Complete wellness is a process of change and growth towards a healthy lifestyle.
8 MUTUALLY INTERDEPENDENT DIMENSIONS OF WELLNESS
- Caring for our bodies to stay healthy now and in the future.
- Growing intellectually, maintaining curiosity about all there is to learn, valuing lifelong learning, and responding positively to intellectual challenges.
- Expanding knowledge and skills while discovering the potential for sharing our gifts with others.
- Understanding, respecting and appreciating each others feelings, values, and attitudes.
- Managing our emotions in a constructive way.
- Feeling positive and enthusiastic about our lives.
- Maintaining healthy relationships, enjoying being with others, developing friendships and intimate relationships, caring about others, and allowing others to care about us.
- Contributing to our community.
- Finding purpose, value, and meaning in our lives with or without organized religion.
- Participating in activities that are consistent with our beliefs and values.
- Preparing for and participating in work that provides personal satisfaction and life enrichment that is consistent with our values, goals, and lifestyle.
- Contributing our unique gifts, skills, and talents to work that is personally meaningful and rewarding.
- Managing our resources to live within your means, making informed financial decisions and investments, setting realistic goals, and preparing for short-term and long-term needs or emergencies.
- Being aware that everyone’s financial values, needs, and circumstances are unique.
- Understanding how our social, natural and built environments affect our health and well-being.
- Being aware of the unstable state of the earth and the effects of our daily habits on the physical environment.
- Demonstrating commitment to a healthy planet.